I hope you're not expecting something specific.

December 03, 2004

Sha-mon!

I'm listening to Michael Jackson's greatest hits (Courtesy of Jessica!) at work today. Geez, he is so talented. What in the world happened to this guy? When did the crazy set in? Was it after the Pepsi Incident or before? Can we really blame the fame because...Janet. She started just as young and has been famous for about the same amount of time and yet, she still looks human and seems to be able to conduct herself properly in public (oh don't give me that Super Bowl rhetoric! That was an "accident"!).

It occurs to me...do "bad" people have such pretty-sounding back-up singers? Really really bad! Makes me want to get out my Weird Al CD (Courtesy of Sevi!). I mean, I go back and forth between the MJ video and the Weird Al video in my mind, which...hilarious. You should try it some time. Michael Jackson being a tough guy vs. Weird Al holding a sub. And I mean, I can buy that zombies are coordinated enough to spontaneously break into perfectly coordinated dance sequences but...street gangs? Tough guys don't dance! (Jets and Sharks notwithstanding) And Michael Jackson, Tough Guy? Hee! OK, dude. Whatever you say. That's what I would've said at that pitch meeting. And it's not enough that a song was written to flout how someone will NOT be getting their asses kicked today and then they cast Michael Jackson as a "bad" individual, but it was the title of the entire album complete with tough-guy pose on the cover. Awesome. Or should I say.....bad!

Thriller! It's not just for Halloween any more. I only heard it once this Halloween season. That ain't right. At. All. I always expect that evil Vincent guy at the end to do that wheezing thing at the end of his evil laugh. You know what I mean. When you think something is so hilarious you can't hardly stand it and so to try to get ahold of yourself you inhale audibly. I don't think it's just me. I think you know what I mean.

Wait a minute. Beat It. Which one had the street gangs in the parking garage? Now I'm thinking it was Beat It. Well, if it is, please apply all of the mocking that I applied to Bad to this video/song. Because I mean, you can't even get it straight using Weird Al versions because.... Bad and Beat It vs. Fat and Eat It. Weird Al's wearing a fat suit in both. My god that man's a genius. I mean, so is MJ in his own right. It takes a gift to make really really successful pop over and over for 15-20 years, but it takes pure genius to make fun of that gift.

Dammit, I should get back to work. In the mean time....don't stop till you get enough. Hoo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Click Here