I hope you're not expecting something specific.

August 11, 2005

Kindergarten!

So I'm watching The Amazing Race (shocker) and they're in Germany and Austria in this episode. I really really want to go to Germany. I don't speak German in the least, but it is so beautiful. Everywhere you look, it's just gorgeous. Mountains, meadows, castles, wonderful little villages. OK, enough with my love affair with Germany.

As most of you know, today was Gabi's first day of kindergarten. This story is duplicated on my myspace page, so if you read both, you're about to be very bored.

Yes, it's true. We lived through the first day of kindergarten. It was tough (not really) but we trudged through (it was a total breeze). Just as I thought, she had no problem at all. We hit the front doors and she almost left us completely behind. Went straight for her room, greeted her teacher, advised her on the recent construction paper purchase, and made a beeline for her locker. Stashed her backpack and then surveyed the room. There were coloring pages on the tables. She spots one table with all four chairs stacked on one side of the table, yet four coloring pages in a square on the table. She immediately sets out to unstack the chairs and place them at their correct places around the table. Taking over already. At that point, I figure there's no point in us lingering around, so I lean down to say goodbye to her....

Me: When the teacher says to be quiet, make sure to be quiet, OK?
Gabs: OK.
Me: And you listen to what she says and be respectful, OK?
Gabs: OK.
Me: And stay with your class.
Gabs: OK!!! Oh look! Raccoons!
Me: I love you, baby. See you after school!
Gabs: *coloring*
Me: Bye!
Gabs: .......*more coloring*

So as you can see, she was just fine. Me, on the other hand....... I didn't cry or anything. I think I got all that out last night. It just blows me away how fast she's growing up. She'll probably have her driver's license by next year. Her own apartment by the time she's seven. Off to college by 10. Global Domination by 16. She's a very quick learner. Anyway. Let's see if I can do this whole picture posting thing......


Just before leaving.....


......And in the car on the way

Yes, she was really that happy and no, those pictures don't do her a shred of justice.

5 Comments:

Blogger Videos by Professor Howdy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

man that's a long comment.

i just got back from germany actually. and yes, it's just as beautiful as you think it is. and you can get by without knowing german, i did. although i did have to pretend a few times out of respect for strangers striking up conversations with me.

i remember my first day of kindergarten. ok that's a lie but i remember crying and struggling with my parents the morning of. fun times.

gabi's so cute. i love the outfit!

8:14 PM

 
Blogger Dew said...

Let me elaborate: holy FUCK, that's a long "comment." GEEEEEEZ!

Cute cute cute cute cute cute Gabi, to whom we also wish a happy 6th birthday!

3:41 PM

 
Blogger di said...

Yeah, that was a long comment! And completely unnecessary and irrelevant. Nice thought but pffffft. Away with you!

Oh, and thanks for the compliments for the Gabi. She really is pretty cute, huh? ;)

3:49 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like she's on the Condoleeza schedule there. Good luck fending off the advances of the PTA.

If you go to Germany and someone gives you static, I've heard the best tactic is to calmly remind them that we saved their asses in WWII, and if it wasn't for us they'd all be speaking German now.
I should get a job with Fodor's, I'm so damn smart.

=^..^=

10:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Click Here