I hope you're not expecting something specific.

July 07, 2005

London Calling

Do you know what I do not want to hear on the news tonight? How people in Dallas are reacting to these barbaric (tm Tony Blair) attacks in London. Do you know what I DO want to hear on the news tonight? How people in LONDON are reacting!!! Hellooooooooooooooo!!!! Can we focus here? Freakin media.

I hope that didn't sound insensitive. My point is that we should be focusing on the people of London and those injured and lost. My thoughts, as well as Gabi's, are with those affected.

As I've studied disasters of all types, a few things have really stuck with me. The first thing that comes to mind is that whatever information you see or read within the first 24 hours.... at least half of it is wrong. In the mad rush to get the information on the airwaves, many media outlets just put up what they heard or thought they heard and rely upon speculation and present it as fact. It's not good or bad, it's just what happens. We are all hungry for information and they give us whatever they've got. The problem is, a lot of us are really not in the mood to pick apart the reliable information from the questionable information. But we should be vigilant about the information we believe and repeat. The media is our best friend and worst enemy in times like these.

Now the big, humongous, massive problem I have with the media is the myth that they perpetuate every time something awful happens: that there is panic and chaos in the streets. I even read one story with the headline "Panic and Chaos in London Following Attacks." I tried to find the link, but it appears to be gone now or maybe they changed its headline (it was an AP story on Yahoo). If you actually read these stories and not just headlines like that one, you will find that Londoners were actually very calm and helpful to one another. Yes, they were shocked. Who wouldn't be? Naturally, there will be some that panic. But widespread panic is a myth. The truth is, the real first responders are victims and bystanders. And from what I read (yet another story I can't seem to find again... this one was on CNN.com), there was an emergency plan in place and it was followed properly. Hospitals were not overwhelmed and emergency services functioned as had been planned. I think this disaster and its response will be studied for years to come.

But what I really find remarkable is that the transit system was up and running by the end of the day (as much as possible, anyway). I saw some pictures of crowds.... CROWDS waiting to board the trains as soon as they reopened. Wow. Way to give those assholes the finger, eh? Double-barrell, at that. They wanted to disrupt your lives and cause panic, but they failed. What they got was calm and resilience. Bravo, London. You will be invincible. Oh, and congrats on that Olympics thing. That'll be one hell of a party.

And no comparisons to 9/11, please. These are very different scenarios and the only thing that they really have in common is the involvement of al-Quaeda whack job fundamentalists who really think that killing innocent people is going to convince us to do one damn thing they want.

With all that being said, our thoughts are with you, Londoners. Hope I didn't say anything to piss you off. These are just my opinions from across the pond. Cheerio.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i heard canada is next to get hit but i'm skeptical about the validity of that info. seriously skeptical. i mean, who doesn't like canadians? :)

10:48 PM

 
Blogger Ciberblade said...

News gets its ratings from shock and negativity -- I noted that they aired what Blair and Bush said...but not what Livingstone said:
------------------------------
"I wish to speak directly to those who came to London today to take life. I know that you personally do not fear giving up your own life in order to take others - that is why you are so dangerous. But I know you fear that you may fail in your long-term objective to destroy our free society. Whatever you do, however many you kill, you will fail."
----------------------------------
Powerful words!

2:53 PM

 
Blogger di said...

Jing! Seriously.... what's not to like about Canada? So friendly, eh? =)

Ciber... I agree. Those were some powerful words. I saw Livingstone on the telly this morn. So he's not getting left out completely.

10:32 PM

 
Blogger Stewed Hamm said...

Not so fast there jing, I've got two words for you: Celine Dion.

By that rationale, I predict Canada will be a smoking crater in no time.

No, seriously, I love those moose-fucking hockey-inventing mofos. Just watch your step aiight? (that's American for "eh?")

11:28 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Panic and Chaos in London Following Attacks."

I'm afraid we don't 'do' panic or chaos. The closest I've been to panic was when my best sweatshirt came out pink in a wash, but I went out and bought another one. Phew!
;)
Listening to the 'news' just after an event is just listening to people gossiping about something until they find out what happened.
One question this week that made me roll my eyes and go 'tut' in a slightly condescending manner, was from a reporter to the head of London Police
Reporter "If they were not suicide bombers, do you think they could still be at large and strike again?"
(brilliant, just brilliant!)
Policeman - "I would have thought that was blindingly obvious"
and so the gossiping goes on. Mrs Jones has lost her cat, I think Debbie has split from Dave, Jane seems to have put on weight since she ate all the pies and don't tell the Londoners, you'll only make them miss a step if you do, but I think there were a few bombs there this week!
Ah well, I hope Mrs Jones finds her cat.
And life in London goes on, like it ALWAYS goes on.
Up yours terrorists!

6:59 AM

 
Blogger Rachel Heather said...

its hard..but I try not let any of that stuff hinder me from going anywhere. I flew to New York (to see my family) five days after 9/11.

I also agree with shock value...sometimes I wonder if we handle this "war on terror" the right way at all.

Nuke em! LOL

1:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo Di, Some nice words there and as a Londoner, snif snif, it pushed some water from the tear duct in my left eye.

Bob ;)

4:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Click Here