I hope you're not expecting something specific.

February 23, 2005

It's Drew Times Two!

The Cowboys have acquired Drew Henson, a quarterback let go by the Bills. At first, I was stoked. Until I saw the statistics. I mean, I guess the Bills pulled it out last season, starting 0-3 and finishing 9-7. But he was let go. He was cut.

If I remember correctly, Parcells has been here three years and we've had three different quarterbacks (Carter, Testaverde, Bledsoe). And it's been my observance that it takes two years to really get a team together. Parcells's second year, I was very hopeful, thinking that he had his time to figure out what he needed to do to get the team to work together effectively. And then Quincy was gone. I was a little annoyed with that, but looking back now I guess it's a good thing (considering his recent admission to rehab). In 2004, we acquired Testaverde. Oh good. A big name! It must be a good thing! Well, it turned out to be a mediocre thing. We all had high hopes, but we still had Henson as a backup! I'd like to comment on how he plays, but to tell the truth, I really don't know. I hear the guy has promise and he's from Michigan for cripes sakes, so we know he doesn't suck.

So now we have Bledsoe. A name I recognize even though he's been playing in the AFC (quite a feat considering my fishbowl approach to sports). I'm hopeful yet left wondering how we ever expect to win this next Super Bowl, or even make the playoffs, if we keep changing the makeup of the team. I mean, I'm no expert, but the quarterback's pretty integral to shaping the team, no? So why does The Tuna keep changing the roster? It's like he's compiling his own personal all-star team which would probably be A-OK with Cowboys fans if we were actually, oh I don't know, WINNING?

Is it the team? Well, I don't think it's the individual parts. We've got the makings of a good team. Julius Jones, Keyshawn Johnson, Jason Witten, Dat Nguyen, Richie Anderson, Terry Glenn.... I could go on and on with the awesome players we've got on the roster. All we're lacking is a good quarterback to mush it all together. The same quarterback for at least two years. If I'm correct with my Cowboys history, it took Aikman 3 years to get to his first Super Bowl.

Jimmy Johnson gave the Cowboys something. Both a blessing and a curse: he let us know what it feels like to really be fans of champions. I mean, I know that feeling can't last forever and we've got to work our way back up to that place. We're just so eager to get back to that place that it gets frustrating when it seems like someone's messing with the formula. Whatever that may be. Cowboys fans have generally liked Parcells, but I'm not sure that this decision is going to go over so well. It just seems like he's trying to build a rickety team to withstand one season instead of a solid team that can grow with each other over a couple of years into a Super Bowl contender. Yeah. That's what I've been trying to say for the past 43 minutes! So anyway. It's only February. We've got six months to stew over it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Stewed Hamm said...

Don't be fooled by the shiny names done up in neon. What you're forgetting is that Boys haven't drafted for shit lately. We've picked up an OK running back, and I guess a couple of defensive guys... but that's it. No big-time standouts, no stars, just a bunch of "yeah, I kinda remember him..." people.

Going a bit off-topic, I have to say I love the hell outta Dat Nguyen. How can anyone not root for a short asian guy to succeed in the NFL? That's at least underdog cubed, by my math.
Doesn't hurt that he's an Aggie either.

12:52 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love michigan. best team ever. so i guess i have to love drew henson too even if he played baseball too.

2:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Di,

All of the "awesome players" you named have something in common. They don't play on the offensive or defensive line. All of the fast little guys in the world won't help a team whose "big uglies" don't get it done. Think about those championship Cowboys teams... a phenomenal offensive line, Leon "Nobel Laureate" Lett causing havoc on the D-line.

Face it, Bledsoe or any other quarterback won't make Dallas any more than a much warmer Detroit.

Sevi

8:31 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Click Here