I hope you're not expecting something specific.

January 21, 2006

Phone Books

I hate them. Is this a silly thing to hate? Maybe. But every time I get a new one.... no wait... make that YET ANOTHER new phone book, my blood starts to boil. Listen, when I was growing up, I lived near a town of about 100,000 people with lots of little 5,000 to 10,000 towns around it. The big town was kind of the hub in the middle of all these smaller farming towns. We had one phone book that was about an inch thick and it came every September. Now I live in the Dallas area, and I have one for Lewisville/Flower Mound, one for Lewisville/Coppell/Irving, one for Lewisville/The Colony, and two Greater Dallas (A-L and M-Z). And those are just the ones I can see right at this moment. They are all different sizes and thicknesses. At work, we have an entire shelf dedicated to current phone books. No wait... come to think of it, they wouldn't all fit on the shelf, so we had to start storing them stacked on the counter.

I keep one Lewisville/Flower Mound phone book underneath my living room phone. Want to know how many times I've cracked that baby open? Never. Know why? I have the FREAKIN INTERNET! And even if I didn't, I am not so much a tightass that I won't pay 25 cents to have an operator tell me the number in less time than it would take me to flip through the phone book to find it. Do you see where I'm going here? There is no need for these any more. I mean, if Grampa doesn't have the internet and doesn't want to call his grandkids to get on the internet and find him the nearest proctologist, then Grampa can have a phone book. But these things just show up on my patio every few months. Usually, this results in my grabbing my head and whining, "My GOD not another PHONE BOOK!" I don't NEED another phone book!

How about this, "phone companies!" If I want one, I'll call you, OK? Oh, but how will I have the number without the phone book? Oh you think you are so smart. Relax! Just put the number on the bill. Or put a little insert in with the bill. I know how you guys love to waste tons of paper! And I know you have people at the ready to invade my residential space to drop them off on my door step. So maybe every August, you can put the little flyer in the bills and anyone who wants one can sign up! And leave the rest of us ALONE! They take up space, waste paper, serve no purpose.

I mean, we're all trying so hard to recycle. I've got a box at my desk at work, and I take a trip out to the recycle place every month or so. I feel guilty if I can't find a recycle box at work and have to throw a piece of paper in the regular trash can. So how come the environmentalists aren't all breathing down Verizon and SBC's collective proverbial tree-chopping necks!? Come on, dammit! Quit trying to save owls and snails and get onto these damn phone companies! Oh.... I'm onto something. OK, environmentalists: You see. If we do away with the mass produced phone books, and only the people who actually want them, get them.... well production will drop, I'd bet by at least 2/3. That's 2/3 more trees for owls! I'm just thinking of the owls here.....

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great way of thinking..I indeed think you are on to something here....Save the owls!

8:13 AM

 
Blogger Stewed Hamm said...

Shame on you, Di. You made Navin Johnson cry.
Personally, I collect as many phone books as I can to stock up on the free ice cream from McDonald's when you take them in to be recycled. It doesn't faze those guys at all when the phone book you're recycling is obviously brand spankin new and untouched by human hands. (apart from Augustus Gloop)

Also, owls are totally hot. (we are talking about Hooters here, right? Otherwise I look pretty creepy for having sexual thoughts about birds.)

4:02 AM

 
Blogger Dew said...

So, what I'm hearing is that if, on the two days a year a metric ton of phonebooks is dropped on all the doorsteps (or in the turrets) of our little development here, I collect them all, there's ice cream in it for me. But maybe I'm focused on the wrong thing.


Oh, and p.s. I was at a Hooters (in Pasadena, no less, so don't think it was like, San Berdoo or somethin', with the meth hos and whatnot) and I'm here to tell you that them chicks ain't hot no more. There were all these pictures on the wall of the Barbie Benton/Hefner bunny type Hooter girl, and I'll tell you right here and now that it's like the flight attendant thing all over again: they, like the rest of us, are getting old and less attractive. Bah.

11:25 PM

 
Blogger Stewed Hamm said...

Your particular McDonald's policies may vary... but in general, yeah. (NB: I didn't mean to start slinging around terms like "ice cream" hapahzardly. Let's keep in mind it's just soft-serve.)
Your neighborhood has turrets? Jeez, how bad does crime have to get for people to start installing cannons...

If Hooter's Girls are on the same track as flight attendants, does that mean that in the next ten years, we'll start seeing restaurants full of gay guys in those orange hotpants? I think I just lost my appetite.
If that's the kind of cleavage we're going to be treated to, I'd rather see actual owls.

3:28 PM

 
Blogger Ryan said...

Hi///

What's up///

That's cool///

Did you get a new tattoo///

Bummer me neither///

What mom///

No I will not clean my room right now///

No I do not want to start paying rent///

Okay fine///

D@mm!t sorry I gotta go POTS///

Hey it's me why did I have to type qouohez///

Is that your boyfriends name///

10:31 PM

 
Blogger Ryan said...

Now it says qezqjwjv WTF is going on///

Hello///

10:33 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Click Here