I hope you're not expecting something specific.

December 04, 2005

Just Shut Up and Have a Merry Christmas!

I saw a news story earlier today about the Christmas tree outside the Capitol and how it's been called a Holiday Tree for the past few years so as not to offend anyone. Let me ask you: Who gets offended by the word Christmas? Do you know ANYONE who just despises any reference to Christmas or any Christian rituals at all? The story I saw on the TV News made reference to some "culture wars" over how to celebrate the season. And when people hear about these "culture wars," they get mad about it.

But I have yet to say "Merry Christmas" to anyone and they get offended. Because when someone says "Happy Hannukah" to me, I do not get offended. They're just being nice. I really think it is such a small percentage of people who just cannot stand any reference to any religion that has to make a big hullabaloo over their preferred belief. And those people realy need to suck it up one month out of the year. Also, those people need to stop being so damn grumpy. Seriously. Lighten up! No. Christmas lighten up! You do not have the "right" to not be offended, and I do not have an obligation to placate you! If you do not celebrate the same holiday as I do, and I wish you the "wrong" happy holiday, you can smile and just say thank you. There is no need to even inform me that you are an Atheist because guess what? I don't care. I was just trying to be nice and cheery. And if you can't deal with that, you've got more problems than just getting pissed off at Christmas.

But it doesn't really matter because I don't think "real" people get offended at being wished the wrong holiday. It seems like it's only the media and politicians who get all prickly over it. And then it starts to be a charged point for the rest of us and Lowe's starts selling "holiday trees" (who have since gone back to calling them Christmas trees). But secretly, 98% of the population really doesn't care. So is everyone happy? I'm happy. You're happy. We're all happy. Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas.

5 Comments:

Blogger Dew said...

Hello from the 2%....

Although I don't go mental about it, I actually do resent the incessant "Merry Christmas"es and would really welcome a nice generic "happy holidays" -- which would encompass both whatever religious (or pseudo-religious) occasion you celebrate, as well as the New Year. What grates on me is the assumption that everyone is Christian, and that is the assumption behind generic "Merry Christmas"es. To put it bluntly, "Merry Christmas" (as well as the carols playing every-fucking-where from October 15 on) is asking me to enjoy a *Christian* holiday, which is great for Christians, but not for non-Christians.

Now, let me be clear: a Christmas tree is a *Christmas* tree, and it was long ago adopted as a Christian symbol, and should be seen as such, as should a creche, as should any Santa-themed pageantry. But THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH ANY OF THAT. There's really not. And as long as you go multi-denominational, go right on ahead an put 'em up on public property, and in schools, and wherever your heart desires. And it's bullshit to try and deny that symbols have religious underpinnings, because, frankly, if they don't, they should. I fear that one reason people don't "get" the objection to "Merry Christmas"ing and to symbols of the holiday is that they've managed to completely divorce the holiday from its actual traditional significance: a celebration of the birth of Christ. Tsk tsk tsk.

Part of the problem, by the way, with knee-jerk multiculturalism is that it wilfully confuses pluralism with complete assimilation. They're very different, as you and your readers know.

Okay, putting soapbox away, 'cause I've got about a bajillion Hanumas presents to wrap and label. Merry Christmas, doll.

2:36 PM

 
Blogger Dew said...

Oh, and p.s. I do put up twinkly lights and bought a 2' high fake tree that I decorated with mini glass balls and a star so Bryan can have a little Xmas in the house every year. But it's never gonna be called a "Hanukkah bush" in this house, and those aren't Kwanzaa candles!!!

Go Druids!!

2:38 PM

 
Blogger di said...

Well, I agree with most of what you said. But I don't think someone saying "Merry Christmas" is assuming everyone is a Christian. I mean, how is one to know a complete stranger's religion? I think it's in the intent. They're just trying to be nice. A nice nod and smile will do fine. Or a response of "Happy [holiday of your choice]" will not offend anyone. But if they're deliberately trying to shove it in your face to see if you'll say CHRISTMAS too, then they're jerks. And I hate jerks, no matter their religion.

But! I was thinking about this during my drive tonight. And I feel the same way around Valentine's Day. I feel like it's being shoved in my face and could everyone please leave me alone? I mean, yes I get a couple of gifts from my parents and my daughter, but the coupledom is everywhere and it's kind of sickening to me. And hearts and flowers everywhere and I just kind of want to spew. So I feel ya. Just two months later. =)

Happy Hannukah, babe.

7:42 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got no problem with the Merry X-Mas people, most of whom are just goodhearted folks trying to be friendly. When you live in the south, it's expected. Getting torqued because you're of a different faith is just going to drive you insane.
It's not like they know you personally, and are saying it just to piss you off. (unless you've got some real fucksticks for friends, who celebrate the birth of a guy that said "you should love everyone" by being assholes)

Last year, my daughter would chastise everyone who wished her Merry X-Mas, telling them "well, *I* celebrate Hanukkah!" G-d bless her, I loved walking past the Salvation Army kettles because I knew I'd just crack up when she got on their case.

Then again, maybe all the attacks against Christmas are a disguised blessing. Australia's got their own culture war going on now, and a lot of the Christmas attacks have reminded people that their faith is important. Besides, some of this shit is hilarious

Happy Hanukkah, Merry X-Mas, Joyous Boxing Day, and Danny Partridge in a pear tree, you guys.

=^..^=

12:51 AM

 
Blogger Shane said...

To me it's akin to being wished a "Happy Veterans' Day" and getting pissed off because you never served. Or kicking someone's ass for saying "Good morning" when it's 5 after noon. And what about Halloween? The Christians say it's too Pagan and vice versa. I say STFU and enjoy your paid day off work.

HAPPY CHRISTMUKAH AND/OR FESTIVUS!

And with that, I leave you with this:

The 12 Days Of Christmas (For the politically correct)

On the 12th day of the Eurocentrically imposed midwinter festival, my Significant Other in a consenting adult, monogamous relationship gave to me:

TWELVE males reclaiming their inner warrior through ritual drumming,

ELEVEN pipers piping (plus the 18-member pit orchestra made up of
members in good standing of the Musicians Equity Union as called for in their union contract even though they will not be asked to play a note),

TEN melanin deprived testosterone-poisoned scions of the patriarchal
ruling class system leaping,

NINE persons engaged in rhythmic self-expression,

EIGHT economically disadvantaged female persons stealing milk-products from enslaved Bovine-Americans,

SEVEN endangered swans swimming on federally protected wetlands,

SIX enslaved Fowl-Americans producing stolen non-human animal products,

FIVE golden symbols of culturally sanctioned enforced domestic incarceration,

(NOTE after members of the Animal Liberation Front threatened to throw red paint at my computer, the calling birds, French hens and partridge have been reintroduced to their native habitat. To avoid further Animal-American enslavement, the remaining gift package has been revised.)

FOUR hours of recorded whale songs

THREE deconstructionist poets

TWO Sierra Club calendars printed on recycled processed tree carcasses

AND a Spotted Owl activist chained to an old-growth pear tree.

8:29 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Click Here