I hope you're not expecting something specific.

June 01, 2005

All hail summer programming!

Well, the regular TV season is over. All the "good" shows have wrapped their seasons, so now we're down to summer fluff. Tonight's the first night I really got to sit and watch stuff. We watched Homeward Bound last night and it really confirmed all the reasons that I hate animal movies. My daughter had to calm me down and tell me that all of the animals really do end up OK. SHE'S FIVE! I hate animal movies. Anyway! I watched two summer fluff "reality" shows tonight. The first of which was...

Beauty and the Geek: Ashton Kutcher? Geez. The man who brought us Punk'd brings us this show. I was skeptical, I will admit. They bring these beautiful women together with so-called "geeky" guys so that they may learn something from each other. I was won over pretty quickly. The guys are incredibly smart and endearing (except for Richard) and the women.... uh.... well. Yes, they're very pretty. I think my favorite would be Erika. She seems to be the most self-aware, even though she is a life-size Barbie model (no, I am not making that up... that is her actual occupation). But the others... one of them actually said that a woman can get anything she wants using just her looks. I don't know if that speaks more to the women that are willing to use their looks to get what they want, or the men willing to give in to them. It's an interesting social commentary. I think I could write volumes on it, to tell the truth, but I'll spare you if you'll watch it tomorrow night. On the freakin WB. Yeah, I had to look up what channel it's on, too. I love the guys, though. I think the one who keeps getting nosebleeds is my favorite, followed closely by Brad, who I think is so smart that he doesn't exactly know what to do with all of his brain power. I was actually sad to see that they eliminated someone at the end of the show. I think for this show, I'd rather see some kind of point system put in place just so we could follow all of the contestants through the game. It's a lot of fun. Seriously, I was impressed. It's one of those shows that doesn't have to be heavily produced because the interactions between these people is enough. I dig it.

Dancing with the Stars: OK listen. I freakin love ballroom dancing. I would watch this show whether it had celebrities on it or not. It's going to be a guilty pleasure on the American Idol level. And I think it is a total girlie show, so girls, if you have men in your life, do not make them watch this show! They don't freakin care! Let them go play Playstation or throw darts or do something manly! Anyway. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I wish they'd have more practice footage and less stupid interviews about how they "felt out there." I would also like for them to go a little more in-depth on the professional dancers. They all sound like cocky bastards, which honestly, was kind of awesome. Anyway, John O'Hurley (yes, J Peterman) was the freakin bomb! What a ham! I could've watched him all night! I mean, they did dance to Earth Wind and Fire, which was a huge plus, but they were also entirely enjoyable to watch. Two enthusiastic thumbs up. Fine holiday fun for the whole family. And on the low end, Evander Holyfield dances like a log. His dance partner was freakin amazing and made him look really good, but he didn't really do anything. I kind of felt sad for him. And on the girls' side, Trista "The Bachelorette" Sutter did a great job, IMNHO, but then again, didn't she used to be some basketball team dancer? So, you know, she's got rhythm and knows how to move. Anyway. Loved it. But I'm a girl, so.... Hey! If you loved this show, you should check out Strictly Ballroom. I freakin love that movie! You won't recognize any of its stars, but you'll probably recognize the name Baz Luhrman, who also directed Moulin Rouge. The man is completely off his rocker, but knows how to make visually stunning movies.

In other news, wikipedia is the most evil/awesome website ever. I cannot stop! It is the coolest encyclopedia ever! But you must be warned... once you go to look something up, it is really hard to stop clicking through to links to other articles. I cannot remember what I went there to look up today, but I ended up reading about reality shows, which let me to reading a whole lot about The Amazing Race, which inexplicably led to me reading about conspiracy theories. I really have no idea how or why and that is the drug that is the wikipedia. And that drug? Is kind of awesome.

So with that, I bid you adieu. I must sleep for it is late.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another fine Ballroom movie is Shall We Dance? No, the ... not the one.

The film was so popular and moving that the Japanese government became very concerned about people giving up their careers and becoming professional dancers.

=^..^=

12:32 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fuck it. I give up trying to post links in comments.

The gist of my earlier comment is that the Japanese version of Shall We Dance? is highly superior to the gerbilectomied remake.

12:34 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my gosh wikipedia is almost as addictive as the facebook. i didn't think people knew about it though. i like reading the homepage because they always have something interesting for the day and usually accompanied by even more interesting links that just beg you to click too :).

4:52 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The lies! The horrible, horrible lies! What happened to "no more TV after Wednesday?"

Oh, and by the way, I just had to look up the WikiPedia entry on Wiki Gonzalez. Here it is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki_Gonzalez

That's 3 "Wikis" in one line. Someone call the Guiness Book.

Sincerely,
Most Likely the Only Person Here Who Knows Who Wiki Gonzalez is Without the Use of WikiPedia.

9:23 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Click Here