I hope you're not expecting something specific.

May 22, 2005

Speaking of which...

OK, I have a couple of stories from the weekend and then I want to talk about tee vee because, you guys? I love TV. I know it's hard to fathom. But it's true! I swear.

First things first. Friday night. Guess where I was! You'll never guess...... What's that you say? The bar? Oh. Looks like you'll guess after all. Erm. Anyway! So it's Game 6. Pa-hoe-nix is up 3 games to 2 against my Mavericks. It is a GREAT game, lots of back and forth, lots of great plays, great shots. So we get into the fourth quarter and we are down to the last minute. It's getting really tense and everyone in the bar (which was really full, btw) is watching as am I, although I was watching through my interlaced fingers for most of it. There is crowd reaction to just about every development in the game. And here comes Steve Nash, barrelling down the court and freakin sinks a smooth 3-pointer to tie the game and there's only about 5 seconds left. Ball is in play..... down to the wire..... into Mavericks territory.......3 seconds left...... and then......


Darkness.


There is a millisecond of silence while we all figure out what's going on and then about 250 people.....


NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I have never seen the power go out at a more inopportune time. There were a lot of cuss words uttered into the pitch black darkness. But luckily, the power was only out for about 30 seconds and when it came back on, the clock was at 2.7 seconds and we were still tied. WHEW! And about a minute after that massive human noise was the most complete silence I have ever heard in that bar. Mavs finally got the ball into their end of the court and someone puts up a three pointer. Everything stops. Silence...... And then..... AW DAMMIT OVERTIME! And then, of course, we went on to lose the durn thing. Poo. We, as Mavericks fans knew it would happen, we just didn't know when. But now we're rooting for the Suns because we still love Steve Nash and he does not play for a team in California or the Spurs. Woo! Go Suns!

Oh, there was that other time when the power went out at a most inopportune time. Back in the day, I had some friends who worked at the movie theater (give a shout out and a what what to the homies that hooked a sistah up with some movies!), and we went to see that Walk to Remember in the Clouds with the Sun or whatever that movie was with Keanu Reeves and it was like.... four hours long and was about the girl (natch) and the winery and the gruff dad and the floppy wings that help prevent forest fires or something like that. So anyway, right when the girl decides that she doesn't care what her father thinks and she's going to TELL HIM that she loves Ted and there is nothing he can say about it! She literally turns to walk across the courtyard and her mouth parts to say the words and BAM! Power goes out on the entire block. And stays off. Part of me really wanted to see how that conversation went, and another part of me was like, dang I needed to pee anyway. So everyone that paid to see the movie got vouchers to come back the next night, but of course, we could just go because I had the mad fresh hookup. So we go back the next night and I'm thinking.... we saw most of the movie and we're going to have to sit through an hour and a half just to see the last 30 minutes. But oh no. Apparently, I was sadly mistaken and that scene was only about halfway through the movie. And now that I've looked it up on imdb.com, I see that it's only 102 minutes long, which surprises me because it felt more like FIVE HOURS. Seriously, I couldn't believe how much went on after that pivotal moment. Anyway. I guess that goes to show how quickly the story developed and how incredibly interested I was in it. Why am I talking about a stupid movie that I don't even like?

Anyway. So last night, I went to a surprise party for my friend Robby who is married to my friend Melinda. It was a really great "grown-up" party with their parents and siblings and children and freakin food and wine and it was good fun. Afterwards, Jordan, Em, and I went out for some adult time because, yes I love kids, but sometimes other people's children make me kind of want to stab myself in the eye. So we went out to the bar and man, you guys are not going to believe this: I got hit on like four times. I guess it makes a difference when you're hanging out with two attractive women as opposed to about 6 men. I'm not saying those four guys were exactly the most savory, but it still seemed odd. Baugy came over and talked to us for a minute and I was all, "Am I especially hot tonight? Because man, the guys are hittin on me." And he said yes. Now there is a man who knows when to lie. Good man, that Baugy. I mean, the guys were checking out Em and Jordan all over the place, but I think because I was sitting on the end, and there was a space to order drinks right next to me, there was just more traffic. One of them did not have sleeves. That, my friends, is not right. Oh, and did I mention that I barely had a voice? Hm, maybe that also had something to do with it. Brad thinks that the lack of sheer volume attracts the men. That was mean, but he was forgiven when he magically appeared when no-sleeves came back to mack on Jordan. And it worked! So yay Brad for being observant! Oh, and my voice isn't quite back yet and it is torture. But on the good side, Jordan did tell me how to say "I gotta take a tinkle" in sign language. That could definitely come in handy someday. Seriously! Shouldn't you know how to say that in as many languages as possible? I think so. Erm. I have no idea where this story was going....

TV! Yay!

For the sake of space and time, I'll only go over shows that have already ended or seriously, we'll be here all night.

Survivor: Man, what a great season! It was twisty and turny with only a flash of gender issues in the form of a failed female alliance. Mark Burnett kept saying that it was the best season of Survivor yet, and I happily concur. It really was good all the way through and I think got back to what Survivor is all about. Except for the suffering. There wasn't all that much suffering like there was in Borneo, Australia, and Africa. I'm not saying I want to sit and watch people suffer on TV, but it just seems like they have it so easy compared to the first three seasons. I mean, the cast in those three seasons were just emaciated by the end and this season, everyone looked about the same as in the beginning. Except for Ian. Whew. Eat something! Anyway. When Ian jumped off that pole, I couldn't believe my eyes. He just gave it up like that. And I knew Tom would take Katie to the final two because that was his surefire way to win. I guess Ian was just honoring his alliance with Tom. I think they knew from the beginning that Katie would be their patsy because they decided long ago that one of them would take Katie and they would not take each other. See what I'm saying here? Great ending to a great season. Next season? Guatemala. Woot!

Veronica Mars: Hot damn with a shot of WTF! There was a lot of "Whoa! Didn't see that one coming" throughout that entire hour. I guess we should've put the pieces of that puzzle together earlier. We knew Lilly was kind of a slut and we knew Aaron Echolls was kind of a psycho, but we did not fathom that they were sleeping together seeing as she was quasi-dating-but-not-really-any-more his SON! Ew, creep factor. And I also found it interesting that Jake and Celeste really did believe that Duncan killed her and all of this cover up was to protect him. Dang. But what I felt was unresolved was why Lianne left and why Wiedman gave a rat's ass about her whereabouts in the first place. But that fight scene between Keith and Aaron was awesome and scary and suspenseful. Now we are left to wonder if Logan is dead or incredibly impaired by Weevil and who is at Veronica's door. Thank goodness UPN renewed it. But it will be on Wednesdays next season. Up against LOST of all things! Wow! Genius move there! But at least my Tuesdays will be slightly less muddled. Whew!

Amazing Race: I wanted Rob and Amber to win. I really did. But get this... I'm so glad they didn't. There would be such an uproar about cheating and what terrible people they are and boycotting TAR. Whatever, dudes. It's a race. It's a game. They never cheated. Now, about that plane coming back up and opening the doors for Uchenna and Joyce? Not sure about that. But, I'm glad they won. They are good people and they earned it. Thank goodness for a great season after Season Six's debacle. We needed the good guys to win again! I loved it. Next season: teams of four. I'm not sure how they'll pull that off, but it will certainly be interesting. Oh, and it will be in the same time slot as this season. Now I can record the Office! Woot!

CSI: OK, I just watched this one today and can I just say that Quentin Tarantino is fucked in the brain? I mean, I almost didn't watch it because of the claustrophobia quotient. That is one of the most terrifying situations I can think of. Disturbing. And then the ANTS!!! But other than being totally creeped out (which, I'm sure was the whole point anyway), it was really a great show and I'm glad that QT can get on board with a TV show like this and not be a movie elitist. One thing I can say about QT is that he does stuff that he likes regardless of what the buzz will be or what will be said afterwards. He's a cool guy. He's a very whacked out cool guy, at that. Oh, and did you catch him in the Muppets Wizard of Oz? That was awesome. Don't look at me like that! I love Muppets! And so do you! Just remember.... a Muppet Yoda was.

Desperate Housewives: Well, a lot happened but somehow I still feel unsatisfied. As soon as it was over, I turned to Sally and said.... "So why did she kill herself?" I mean, I realize it was to protect her "secrets" but the timing was strange to me. Sally suggested that it was because Mike moved in across the street. But no, they didn't know Mike was connected to Deirdre. OK, so Mrs. Huber was blackmailing her, but we knew that months ago. I'm glad we figured out what really happened, though and it seemed poignant when Mike was shocked to find out that Deirdre had a baby. I hope it's not his because... I don't know. I just think that would be dumb for Zach to be Mike's son what with the mental disturbances and all. It just seemed sort of anticlimactic, I guess. But hey, it was still good. Next season, Carlos will be in jail, Lynette will be at work, and Bree will be a widow. Man, how heartbreaking was that scene when Bree broke down? Awful. Kudos to Marcia Cross. She is the star of this show to me. Also, nice quiet cliffhanger at the end. Creeeeeeepy!

OK, up this week: 24 on Monday, Idol on Tuesday, Idol and Lost on Wednesday (bastards) and I think that's it. Everything else has wrapped up, I think. Here we go, headlong into a summer of reruns. Sigh. At least they're re-running the entire season of Veronica Mars. So here is your chance to get in on the VM-goodness!

Speaking of summer.... THE OC! How could I have forgotten? For a less than stellar season (nothing compared to the first, IMNHO), that was a pretty damn good finale. Made me cry. Over the stupid OC! Like, three times! First with Kirsten's intervention when she was all angry-like and then she turned around and saw Seth there and she just lost it. Man, that was somethin else. And then when Marissa finally broke down to Summer about stupidass Trey. That was not only a heartbreaking scene, but afterwards, I realized something: Mischa Barton actually acted! I actually believed it! And at the end when she had to shoot Trey to save Ryan. Holy mackerel. I wonder if she's going to jail or if it can be construed self-defense when he wasn't actually attacking her. Guess we'll find out.... NEXT SEASON! Same time slot, up against Survivor and Alias. Whew.

Speaking of Summer... again... It was 99 degrees today. And yesterday. I guess uh... Summer's here. WITH A VENGEANCE! I shouldn't really be surprised. I mean, we had our three weeks of Spring (with surprisingly little violent storm action). OK, back to TV.

I guess Thursday night is back for everyone except NBC, who doesn't seem to get that their ratings sucked on Thursdays this season FOR A REASON! Joey is mediocre, Will and Grace jumped the shark about 4 years ago, the Apprentice is getting tired, and ER is like freakin Methuselah in TV years. Let it DIE! Speaking of which... The West Wing got moved to Sunday nights so Sevi can watch it a little more regularly. But he will now get another dose of the Presidency with that new Geena Davis show Commander-in-Chief. You like Geena Davis, right? She was in Beetlejuice for cryin out loud! You have to like her! What else about next season... Oh! They moved Arrested Development to Monday night so that I can actually watch it now! And it better be as funny as everyone says it is or I'm gonna start writing some letters. And also? Don't be worried that you don't see Scrubs on the Fall Schedule. They'll be back mid-season for some godforsaken reason. They're probably anticipating something getting cancelled and using it to regain viewership. Which... I'm not sure where they'll put it because Tuesday looks good with that new Jason Lee thing about Earl-something (I love Jason Lee!) and The Office and you guys just KNOW they won't ever cancel Will and Grace until someone in the cast actually dies of old age. I think I'll actually go buy the Scrubs DVD to keep me sane until it comes back.

OK, my scroll bar is getting really really tiny, so I guess I'll wrap it up now. I have to go watch Grey's Anatomy anyway, which is also back next season, FYI. OK! Hope to hear from you all! Yes, even you! =)

2 Comments:

Blogger Rachel Heather said...

Once when I was eight years old and my teenage uncle was babysitting me and my brother, he brought over Halloween 2. SO picture two kids and a teenager home alone watching Mike Myers cutting people to bits when the power goes out. That and it was a full moon. I was freaked out of my mind.

As for TV. Yes it is ok to base ones life around TV...just so long as it is good. The OC finale was so great. The rest of the season kinda sucked. (better than most of what is on tv though). I think we need a new Buffy type show. Yes, that should do it, a cult favorite dramedy that is SMART!!

12:04 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Walk in the Clouds... aka "Strange things are afoot at the burning vinyard, dude... and also, I know kung-fu."
Haha, I made a funny! Yet it's just so tragic, because he keeps getting cast in bizarre shit like that flick.

I liked the CSI:Regular Flavor finale. Even though they abandoned the whole "Ecklie is the anti-christ" theme halfway through the season, it was a good episode.
Apparently, Tarantino is a CSI junkie, and he insisted on working in details like Gil's lip-reading, and the like. He apparently owns a Dukes of Hazzard game, and will brag about it in any medium possible.

Finally, I've gotta pipe up about Earl, the new Jason Lee vehicle. It's important to note that it not only stars Banky/Brodie but also, the Rubberband Man himself, Eddie Steeples.

Damn, I love me some Rubberband Man! What with his Pac-Man hair and everything.

=^..^=

12:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Click Here