I hope you're not expecting something specific.

October 26, 2004

Tall Latte, Light Cream....or something

OK. People. Here's the deal. If you're going to forward an email claiming that something has happened, that I should boycott something for whatever reason, research it first! Here are a few useful websites:

Snopes
Truth or Fiction
Scambusters

Go. Find one you like. Add it to your favorites. And any time you get an email that pisses you off enough or tugs at your heartstrings enough to pass it on, look it up on one of these websites first. That's right - before you pass it on. Research first. Forward second. I got this email twice today:

Dear Everyone:

Please pass this along to anyone you know, this needs to get out into the
open. Recently Marines over in Iraq supporting this country in OIF (Operation
Induring Freedom) wrote to Starbucks Coffee, because they wanted to let them
know how much they liked their coffee and try to score some free coffee grounds.
Starbucks wrote back telling the Marines thanks for their support in their
business, but that they don't support the War and anyone in it and that they
won't send them the coffee. So as not to offend them we should not support in
buying any Starbucks products. As a War vet and writing to you patriots I feel
we should get this out in the open. I know this War might not be very popular
with some folks, but that doesn't mean we don't support the boys on the ground
fighting street to street and house to house for what they and I believe is
right. If you feel the same as I do then pass this along, or you can discard it
and I'll never know. Thanks very much for your support to me, and I know you'll
all be there again here soon when I deploy once more.
Semper Fidelis,
Sgt Howard C. Wright
1st Force Recon Co.
1st Plt PLT RTO

After the third sentence, I went directly to snopes and searched "Starbucks" and it came back with a big fat red FALSE! This email was different mainly because the name at the bottom is the name of the actual author and he is recounting events that he thought actually happened. The truth is, he had heard this story about third-hand and made a lot of assumptions to fill in the gaps. He has since apologized and sent out another email recanting this story. But that email hasn't made it to my inbox yet. Hm. Interesting. Anyway, don't think these sites are just for email stories, either. If you hear a story in real life, if you read something in a chat room, if someone tells a story in a blog (but not me, of course. I only speak da troof! but feel free to research me and let me know if I'm *gasp* wrong!), it can't hurt to just look it up real fast. The internet is this wonderful amorphous blob that can be used for good or evil, even if unintentionally. Use it for good. I implore you. And as for "important news stories," stop and ask yourself, "If this were true, would I really be hearing about it for the first time in an email?"

So go to Starbucks! Pay four bucks for a damn cup of coffee! And RELISH the thought that you are not un-American! What's more American than a little Seattle coffee-shop becoming an international monolith? What's wrong with a tasty cup of coffee??? If you got four bucks to blow, do it in style. You can still be a patriot and have your over-priced coffee, too.

1 Comments:

Blogger Stewed Hamm said...

Damn, and here I was all ready to post about this sweet-ass Neiman Marcus cookie recipe "a friend" sent me. :P

I just might have to stop believing EVERY DAMN THING I SEE on the internet. Nah, that would be a little too extremist.

10:52 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Click Here