I hope you're not expecting something specific.

September 16, 2009

Chrysanthemum

Alright, one more:

Sunday, August 21, 2005

Current mood: impressed

You know. There are just some moments that can really define something about someone. One little comment or action can be very telling sometimes. So tonight, Gabi and I were going over her Kindergarten newsletter. Please observe the following passage from said newsletter:

This week, we will be discussing the letter Mm. Mm is the m-m-m sound (yum). Some Mm words to practice: mat, man, milk, mad, me, mother. You may also try distinguishing words that end in Mm if you find your child is ready.

At this point, I turn to Gabs and I ask her, "Can you think of any words that end in M?" She looks up as if she's thinking. I figure I'd better think up some words that end in M too, just in case she can't think of any. I mean, she's 5 and she can read, but spelling is kind of the next step and I'm not sure if she's ready for that yet. I mean, she's only been in Kindergarten for a week and two days. So I'm thinking, She'll probably say Mom, you know, because I'm here. And then there's Pam, her aunt and then Kim like Kim Possible... hm... normal words.... arm, ram, rim.... lamb, even though I'd have to explain why those silly English boys insisted on putting a B on the end, even if you can't hear it. And then.....

Gabs: Chrysanthemum.
Me: *blank stare while my mouth falls wide open* .....wh.....what?
Gabs: *very matter of fact* It's a flower.

That's my kid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Click Here